New Ideas (New Features)

by M Santos, Friday, December 28, 2012, 09:59 (1790 days ago)

Hi all

I'm feeling rather Christmasy so I made a wish list of ideas for the next year. They all have to do with the original idea of the program “Kids Basic” and Kids like pictures and especially colourful moving pictures. On that note I suggest:

Improve the forum by creating categories such as "simple programs" or "beginners", and allowing uploading pictures.

Possibility of drawing ovals and circle sections by extending the circle instruction.
circle x,y,r
circle x,y,stretch,r
circle x,y,stretch,section,r
circle x,y,stretch,section,rotation,r

Pre-defined stamps (on the menu) with automatic generated coordinates.

Optional grid and axis shown on the Graphics Window.

Possibility of generating animated GIFs, directly.

As usual I'm always willing to collaborate.

Manuel

New Ideas

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Saturday, December 29, 2012, 21:23 (1788 days ago) @ M Santos

Manuel,

As always your suggestions are helpful. I just released 0.9.9.25 with the 'pt' documentation now included on the off-line and there are three new graphics statements (ARC, CHORD, and PIE) each draw parts of ellipses and circles. Check them out in the documentation and Examples.

On the stamps.. M... That might be interesting. I don;t want to clutter up the IDE but how about adding a section to the "stamp" documentation page where they can see images and the coordinated used to make them. That way they could copy and paste. If this is a much used and successful addition to the docs then we can look at a code "insertion" menu option with handy code bits.

I have tried to get the grid/ruler/linenumber thing using QT but it will take somebody with a lot more QT experience then me to do that. If anybody is interested - let me know.

There is not a standard QT library to create Animated GIFs. It would require a third-party library and a whole bunch of new statements. If you use the IMGSAVE statement you could easily save each slide to different file names and then use one of the easy tools to make your show. Not totally direct.

I appreciate the help with the "pt" documentation and am looking forward to seeing your teaching tools and sharing them with the community.

Happy Holidays.

Jim

Hi all

I'm feeling rather Christmasy so I made a wish list of ideas for the next year. They all have to do with the original idea of the program “Kids Basic” and Kids like pictures and especially colourful moving pictures. On that note I suggest:

Improve the forum by creating categories such as "simple programs" or "beginners", and allowing uploading pictures.

Possibility of drawing ovals and circle sections by extending the circle instruction.
circle x,y,r
circle x,y,stretch,r
circle x,y,stretch,section,r
circle x,y,stretch,section,rotation,r

Pre-defined stamps (on the menu) with automatic generated coordinates.

Optional grid and axis shown on the Graphics Window.

Possibility of generating animated GIFs, directly.

As usual I'm always willing to collaborate.

Manuel

New Ideas

by M Santos, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 21:36 (1787 days ago) @ Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply

The technical issue my year 7 class reported is the difficulty of making smiley faces : ) (vertically), but I think the new instructions will sort this problem.

I agree with the idea of not cluttering BASIC256 but that is also true for the documentation. I will add some resources to the Portuguese documentation and then with time, we will see if it is worth to extend them.

Regards

Manuel

New Ideas

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Monday, December 31, 2012, 05:47 (1787 days ago) @ M Santos

A new smile for you and all you are doing for us.

# requires BASIC256 version 0.9.9.25 or later
cls
print "press any key to stop Mr. Winky."
clg
color yellow
circle 150,150,150
color black
chord 50,50,200,200,radians(135),radians(90)
circle 100,100,20
do
if rand <= .7 then
color black
circle 200,100,20
else
color yellow
circle 200,100,20
color black
arc 180,80,40,40,radians(-45),radians(90)
end if
pause rand
until key
end

New Ideas

by M Santos, Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 18:20 (1784 days ago) @ Jim

If you don´t mind I would like to put this one in Basic Bits blog (with due credits)

New Ideas

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Saturday, January 05, 2013, 02:28 (1782 days ago) @ M Santos

Never a problem. Hope this helps your students.

New Ideas

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Monday, December 31, 2012, 06:08 (1787 days ago) @ M Santos

another smile program

dim smile(1)
smile = {0,0 ,5,0 ,5,1 ,1,1 ,1,2 ,2,2 ,2,1 ,3,1 ,3,2 ,4,2 ,4,1 ,5,1 ,5,3 ,3,3 ,3,4 ,2,4 ,2,3 ,1,3 ,1,5 ,4,5 ,4,3 ,5,3 ,5,6 ,0,6}

clg
fastgraphics
a = 0
z = 1

while true
clg
color black
rect 0,0,300,300
color yellow
stamp 150,150,z,a,smile
refresh
pause .1