raspberry pi computer + BASIC256 (New Features)

by bulldog @, Saturday, December 10, 2011, 01:31 (2027 days ago)

You have probably heard of the new computer coming out called the raspberry pi. The nonprofit organization that is making it has the same goal as BASIC256, namely to get kids to program again. There is quite an active forum at their website http://www.raspberrypi.org/ which languages would be good for the kids to start off with. There are several threads running on that topic. I would like to suggest to this BASIC community to make a big splash over there in their forums. I think that your language and that machine is a match made in heaven. I made a mention of your website on one forum and the first response was very favorable to your article "why johnny cant code" and your purposes in general. There are other folks in the forums that are favorable to BASIC, but not many. Most are pushing python, C, Alice, and other such things. I hope for your success.

On a similar note, I hope to buy a raspberry as soon as it comes out and put BASIC 256 on it. Unfortunately, my computer skills are very minimal. I hope that when it comes out, someone here will be able to make a step-by-step process to show me how to get BASIC256 on the machine.

raspberry pi computer + BASIC256

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Saturday, December 10, 2011, 23:20 (2027 days ago) @ bulldog

Absolutely. I have been keeping my eye on the raspberry pi project for several months and as soon as I can get my hands on one... I will bet that somebody in the community will come up with a port, first.

The RPi supports QT and getting it to compile (with most of the features) should not be a major problem.

Jim

You have probably heard of the new computer coming out called the raspberry pi. The nonprofit organization that is making it has the same goal as BASIC256, namely to get kids to program again. There is quite an active forum at their website http://www.raspberrypi.org/ which languages would be good for the kids to start off with. There are several threads running on that topic. I would like to suggest to this BASIC community to make a big splash over there in their forums. I think that your language and that machine is a match made in heaven. I made a mention of your website on one forum and the first response was very favorable to your article "why johnny cant code" and your purposes in general. There are other folks in the forums that are favorable to BASIC, but not many. Most are pushing python, C, Alice, and other such things. I hope for your success.

On a similar note, I hope to buy a raspberry as soon as it comes out and put BASIC 256 on it. Unfortunately, my computer skills are very minimal. I hope that when it comes out, someone here will be able to make a step-by-step process to show me how to get BASIC256 on the machine.

by Don Alex @, UK, Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 03:31 (2002 days ago) @ Jim

As I understand it they will be distributing the RP with a vanilla Debian distro image. As Basic256 is currently in the Debian Stable tree (0.9.2-2) and in the testing trees (0.9.6.66-1) I think it will be fairly trivial to install Basic256 on a RP when they eventually come (apt-get install basic256) . With that I expect children as young as 5 ought to be able to learn how to program :) The guys over at Pi are very approachable though so a quick email over to them will be warmly received I am sure.

by Jason Burke, Friday, January 27, 2012, 19:51 (1979 days ago) @ Don Alex

Debian already has a port of BASIC256 for the ARM processor (http://packages.debian.org/sid/basic256). The big question will be whether or not the QT library will run well on the RP with its 256Mb memory and 700 Mhz processor. I certainly hope it does.

Regards.

raspberry pi computer + BASIC256 + IT WORKS!!!!!

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 02:12 (1816 days ago) @ Jason Burke

Hey guys. I got my Raspberry PI a few days ago and BASIC-256 runs on it just fine. The Debian package it a bit out of date but building it on the "Debian wheezy beta" (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435) following the LINUX compiling instructions works great.

I was unable to get sound working on the non-beta "Debian squeeze" RPI image as ALSA support for sound is broken.

The project needs desperately for the release packages in Debian/Ubuntu to be updated so that BASIC-256 can be loaded using apt-get from a main repository. Any volunteers????

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 02:23 (1816 days ago) @ Jim

A testing arm package exists of 0.9.6.66 (July 2011). You can load it on your "wheezy" beta image with the following commands:

apt-get update
apt-get -t testing load basic256

It is a little old and a few of the new features are not in place but it works and has sound.

by UglyMike ⌂ @, Brussels, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 10:51 (1816 days ago) @ Jim

Great! I saw your comment in the Raspberry Pi forum just now.
Hopefully as more people get their hands on one, we'll be seeing more visitors here...
I fear however that my programs will be a bit too heavy to run on the RasPi.... Can you give feedback on that?
Maybe once I get mine, I can put out more RasPi-friendly verions of them (smaller vieport, less particles etc)

by Jim ⌂ @, Russell, KY, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 18:16 (1816 days ago) @ UglyMike

Mike,

I have played with your Particle Pointer and Particle Text programs and your fears are correct. The processing seems to be way too intensive for the Rasberry Pi.

I wrote the following benchmark and it shows just how slow the RPi is compared to a couple year old Pentium Quad with Hardware Accelerated Graphics drivers.

gosub getspeed
print speed
end

getspeed:
# return a rough estimate of the graphic processing of the machine
# raspberryPi 2012-07 = 31-33
# Quad core good Linux 2012-07 = 802-823
temptime = second
while temptime = second
end while
temptime = second
speed = 0
while temptime = second
plot 1,1
speed = speed + 1
end while
return

There is some talk on the forums about adding a hardware accelerated driver but it is still in the works. That would allow for QT to really shine.

Let me know what you need me to do.

by UglyMike ⌂ @, Brussels, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 21:04 (1816 days ago) @ Jim

"Let me know what you need me to do."
Well, nice of you to ask, but I don't see what anyone can do except just wait for the X-Window accellerated driver...
I suppose the output of the Basic-256 programs is tightly nit into Qt and there is no way to run them outside the X-Window environment ( where accelerated graphics ARE possible)
Come to think of it, didn't they show of accelerated graphics demos with the Qt scripting env? Probably targetting OpenGL also outside X....
Right now, I can just sit here and sulk 'cause you already got a RasPi.... Congrats and have fun....

RSS Feed of thread