Instructions to compile BASIC256 from source on Linux (Program Bug and Problems)

by 8BitCoder, Friday, August 12, 2016, 12:31 (434 days ago)

This was asked in an earlier thread almost two years ago, but instead of reviving that old thread I started a new one. These are instructions on compiling the latest subversion code on Ubuntu 14.04. I tested these with a clean install (with all updates) in a Virtualbox instance. Reply with any issues, please.

1. First, get all required packages:

sudo apt-get install g++ qtbase5-dev-tools qtbase5-dev qt5-default \
flex bison qtmultimedia5-dev libqt5multimedia5 libqt5serialport5-dev \
libqt5serialport5 libespeak-dev libudev-dev subversion

When building BASIC256, if you are missing development libraries, it will tell you which ones are missing, but those names don't always match up to the Debian/Ubuntu package. This link contains a list I used to match these libraries to their package names:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/508503/whats-the-development-package-for-qt5-in-14-04

2. Next, fetch the latest code:

svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/kidbasic/code/trunk kidbasic-code

3. The code had several issues I had to fix, which likely will not be a problem in the future (or new ones may be there).

resources/images/find.png is missing. For now, copy one of the other icons to find.png:

cp resources/images/zoom-in.png resources/images/find.png

There is a bug in bison 3.0.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 that causes an error in LEX/basicParse.y.
This version of bison cannot handle a type name with %union. Search for "anytype" and change:
%union anytype {
to:
%union {

4. We are ready to build:

qmake BASIC256.pro -config debug
make

Note: Since I created these instructions a week or two ago, new code has been committed that includes C++ 2011 code features. The C++ compiler for 14.04 does not provide support for those features by default, so it will currently not compile.

RSS Feed of thread