Version for Raspberry Pi (Program Bug and Problems)

by Ken Holmes @, Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 04:36 (1215 days ago)

I've been using version 1.1.2.6 in Windows 7 (64 bit) for 2 weeks and written satisfactory programs on 'Life' and 'Colliding Galaxies'. However, I can't get version 0.0.6.69 to work on the Pi. Is there any chance of a later version for the Raspberry Pi site?
Trying my program on the Pi, it flags 'penwidth' as an error (with or without brackets); commenting it out and attempting to Run, basic256 shuts down completely, presumably having met a further incompatibility?
Further, I transferred my programs to the Pi via a USB stick but, trying to transfer UglyMike's programs, the Pi simply could not see them on the same stick.
It's a great program and would be very useful for teaching programming to the kids (young and old) at which the Pi is aimed.

Version for Raspberry Pi

by UglyMike ⌂ @, Brussels, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:12 (1215 days ago) @ Ken Holmes

Hi!

The issue here is that "penwidth" is a command that was added AFTER whatever version you are running on Raspberry Pi. (it was added in v.0.9.9.28)

I don't know what the latest version is one can currently install (or compile) on the Raspberry Pi.

In this thread, Jim gives some commands for installing Basic256 from the Wheezy repositories. As he says, it is missing some commands. (That was 2 years ago... No idea if Wheezy was updated since then) You can of course try to go the same way or try compiling it yourself. Here's the link:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9334&p=112623

Of course, Raspberry Pi, great as it is, does have a rather anemic performance. Even if you get my programs to run on a more recent Basic256 on the Pi, the performance would be nothing to write home about. I do however agree that it is a great learning tool although Python might be better since learning programming through Baic is rather frowned upon... :-)

Have fun with Basic256 AND Raspberry Pi, 2 great projects from great people!

RSS Feed of thread