Next BIG improvement - Need Input before I Jump (New Features)
I know that the forum is not very widely used but before I make a big change to BASIC256 I wanted some input and reasons to or not to.
I have noticed in my Introductory Programming class that the old BASIC string variable vs. numeric variable (a$ vs a) is causing students some grief. I have two possible solutions:
2) Require ALL Variables to be DIMed BEFORE USE with a type associated. Statements like "DIM a AS string" would be required for variables. This brings BASIC256 closer to VB.NET but adds quite a lot of complexity for the new programmer. Also this change would require rewriting ALL sample programs, documentation, and everything.
Currently I like option #1 the best. It simplifies much of the BASIC256 code and should allow for existing programs to continue to "mostly" run. It would require a significant update to the book but should make it easier also.
What do you all think?
- Next BIG improvement - Need Input before I Jump - Jim, 2015-10-26, 23:46
- Next BIG improvement - Need Input before I Jump - UglyMike, 2015-11-06, 12:22
- Next BIG improvement - Need Input before I Jump - igendel, 2015-11-26, 01:20
- Next BIG improvement - Need Input before I Jump - DickStomp2, 2015-12-29, 12:29
- Next BIG improvement - Need Input before I Jump - Jim, 2016-01-02, 03:17